Thursday 30 May 2013

Using SketchUp

I always used to find myself an unusual artist, because I can build things better than I can draw them. Although I had made rough blue prints of my environment, I was skeptical as to how I would be able to draw them effectively. I gave it a go and made a mock up 2D painting on Photoshop CS5 to express my vision and 3D direction. I took into account all my influences and inspirations from previous research including, textures, materials, colours and most importantly, Light.

Here is that image:





Although this image is not so bad. It took a very long time for me to plan out the positioning of assets in the scene, the proportions of certain areas and also how light would react to the scene. I wanted to extend this concept by visualizing my ideas through 2D painting, however I came across a better development process that would benefit my 3D working mind. I downloaded a piece of software called SketchUp, which is a simple program that helps artists visualize their 3D concepts through simple shape build ups. SketchUp is incredibly easy to use and interface is basic but efficient. You are able to build things to scale with a accurately sized 'figure' as a reference object. I started referring to my blueprints from my research document and began build, extruding and detailing my 3D environment. This was a lot better for me as I could really start to see my environment coming together and physically SEE it taking shape. I then began visualizing the areas in Maya and already began planning my building process.



As I began making my prototype environment in SketchUp as was physically able to see my blueprints come to life. With this I did come across small errors that would physically be a hindrance in reality. For example the top blueprint I show two columns in the center of the room. After physically making those in the software, It really obstructed areas of the environment and hid a lot of the focal parts. I then decided to use one pillar in a similar area and it seemed to work much better, both practically and aesthetically. I left the two pillars in the lower section of the map as it actually match symmetrically to the escalators and also drew attention to the TV screen in the center of the back wall.

I took a series of screenshots showing my design process:


I began by following the shape of the architectural structure and important features. I wanted to add more details to the environment instead of using basic shapes. This is because I wanted to get a clearer vision of my environment and how I could replicate it in Maya later on. I focused on where my areas of light would be positioned. In the above image I made two wall planes with a long panels. These panels are actually grids of light, more so as a 'feature' wall than a light of importance. In a lot of interior and architectural design, lights are used for practical and decorative purposes. I wanted to have a feature wall of blue light, as the idea of the colour reflecting off the surfaces and around the room would generate a really nice feel. With that in mind, I already had thoughts of using the colour blue, as mentioned in previous research work, blue is a colour associated with calm. I wanted to have this 'emotional' feature in my environment, so to me having feature or 'decorative' light is important.



I built my assets and objects with a slightly higher level of detail so I could better visualize my environment at this stage. With SketchUp being such an easy piece of software to use, I wanted to turn it my 3D advantage and build the details that I could, so I knew how I'd make them better or more complex in Maya.


The box area at the back wall of this scene will actually become a 'window' once made in Maya. I really liked the idea of having some form of natural like pushing through into the environment, as it casts different colours and shadows than artificial sources. It also gives me the benefit to manipulate feelings associated with natural light. In previous research I explained how the sun is comforting source of light and how it makes us feel good or bad, with or without it. Knowing I can have the ability to manipulate light later on in the build process, means I am able to connect those emotions to my negative and positive lighting variants.


I used various figures to make sure I had a good and consistent scale through the build process.





 After I finished building my environment in SketchUp, I discovered I could add some light and colour if I wanted to. I figured this was actually a really important thing to do, as not only will I now understand what to build, I can also plan my colours and themes. I decided to use my platform scene as an area of colour reference. With blue being theme in my environment, I began adding touches of blue to the scene by selecting the faces of objects and painting them. In the above screenshot I also added feature/decorative lighting to add more of that calming effect. I painted these blue in the seen to set off my theme, I then matched other areas of the platform to compliment them. I painted the ceiling blue, the rim of the tunnel entrance and edging of the platform. In doing this I managed to visualize a strong and consistent theme, that was both bold, colourful and simplistic. Just want I have always wanted it to be from the start!



I imported preset assets such as signs, seating and drinks vendors. I did this because it would save time building my own in the software, but I could still use them as referencing and visualization. I still have my blueprints for my assets design, so I was not concerned using preset models just for referencing at this time.


Here is an outside shot of the lower level of my environment to show how it corresponds to my blueprint designs.


Here is also the waiting/seating room of my lower level environment. Once again using the scaled figures for proportional accuracy. I also followed them theme of my platform and applied it to this area.


I was really pleased with how the visual style was coming together and I really began 'seeing' my project take a solid shape. Everything has started to create a strong visual identity and the kind of look I was striving for to begin with. A minimalistic, bold, bright and futuristic environment.



Here is how I measured the curvature of my escalator tunnel. Making sure everything was in the correct place.


I then extruded the curves upward to where it would meet the upper level of the environment. (I cut away part of the wall for perspective purposes)


The above and below screenshots show that extruded tunnel scene.


Overall I was incredibly pleased with using SketchUp. I think it was an extremely important step to take as it helped me to visualize my environment in the way my mind works as an artist. I could build and map out all important aspects of my scene quickly but effectively. It took my less time time to make these maps than it did to paint that one image above and I honestly think doing it this way was far better. I can now take what I have built away and replicate it into Maya when I come to build the models for real. Doing this prototype map was so good for my 3D mind and helped visualize my environment with much more confidence and direction. I could even add light and colour to my scene, as well as importing objects to get a rough indication of positioning.

I believe I am now ready to take what I have discovered in SketchUp and start building my assets in Maya.

No comments:

Post a Comment