Tuesday 28 May 2013

Introduction

For my BA8 final project, I analyzed my previous BA7 work and began preparations for my practical study. After looking at both modern and historical examples of underground stations, I mapped out blueprints of my own environment for my BA7 research. From those blueprints I am able to now bring my 3D environment to life. After making my blueprints, I still had a lot of planning as to 'how' my actual scene would look. Taking into account the visual style, colours, textures, themes and the overall feel. 

From my BA7 research, I really began thinking of the 'meaning' behind my practical study and reflected on previous work. From the beginning of my research report to my dissertation, all my theoretical study actually all had a hidden art that I initially didn't notice. It was 'how' the examples used lighting to generate not only the emotion of an environment but also the 'purpose. For example, my ludography consisted of how different genres of games not only utilized light to convey theme or emotion, but also used it to define colour and texture. It is interesting to see how visual styles differ depending on the theme and underlining meaning of the game. For example, Splinter Cell is a game of stealth, mystery, dark versus light and also how you as the player physically and mentally interact with the environment. The game play of Splinter Cell enoucrages the player to explore and utilize their surroundings to overcome obstacles, take advantage of situations or just for scenic pleasure. The environments are vast, rich and beautiful, varying from countries all over the world. Because of the game's exploratory nature, the environmental features need to have the correct visual style to convey the theme in that particular scene. For example, the levels in China from the first SC use beautiful colours, primarily in red to portray the national colour and use specific wood textures to highlight the raw materials that build cultural landmarks such as temples, fountains and gardens. Lanterns and decorative lighting in the streets are also used to express the colour, texture and visual style of that particular environment. This alternates between the different countries you explore in the game which in itself makes Splinter Cell a good example as to 'how' light is used. It is used to express the vital immersive elements that build the atmosphere and underlining theme of an environment.

Example showing texture, colour and light to express theme of the environment.

From this different thought process, I began thinking more about the theme of my own environment and how how it will be expressed through the visual style. From the beginning I knew that I wanted my scene to be set in the near future, just to show both comparisons and differences between what is and what could be. Since my BA7 research and dissertation, I have thought deeper into this chosen theme and started to map out my ideas into a solid vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment