Thursday 30 May 2013

New Direction

Although I have shown the ability to import my models and textures/colours into UDK, I feel unable to successfully complete the task of lighting and rendering my environment in this way. I have watched many tutorials and followed as much as I could, but I have really needed some extra one to one guidance. In my learning agreement at the beginning of the year, I wrote that in order to successfully complete this project I will need lessons or tutorials on getting to grips with UDK. I chose to use UDK after I was recommended to do so, even though I have had next to no experience with the software. Unfortunately I have been unable to receive those tutorials and thus been unable to progress any further. Watching tutorials is very different than learning first hand from someone going through it with you personally. I felt if I could have had that guidance, I might have been able to push further in using the software. This was not for UDK basics, but understanding lighting techniques which was unfamiliar to my tutors and at no fault of their own. Without being able to go through this with a tutor, I felt I was wandering in the dark.

Regardless of that, what I have learned is the importance of using UDK and how relevant it is to my art direction. I know how to generate efficient models so that they will import and work in a game engine. Although at this time I couldn't take it further, I have definitely learned so much more about UDK and am pleased I was able to get as far as I did.

My entire project is about light. The power of light and it's persuasion on our emotions. With the little experience I have in UDK, especially considering lighting, I don't want to progress further with the software, As I feel it I will not be able to achieve what it is I have originally set out to do. I want light to speak for itself both negatively and positively, just like I said at the beginning of BA7. I have decided to revert back to Maya to light my environment. Although I am not amazing at lighting in the program, I am supremely confident I can pick up skills and tools through tutorials simply because I know the software a lot better than UDK. I am very eager to learn and certain I can generate the moods I strive for using Maya. Although UDK has been put aside, I still learned the importance of using a game engine. I still learned how to import my models and textures. I still learned the importance of building a working and efficient model. Everything I learned in UDK I believe, is an important development process for my work. I made the sacrifice so I could still bring my environment to life, but I still took a lot from it.

I will still complete what I set out to do and even though I won't be using UDK, I have learned important skills which I was unable to do before. Therefore using UDK was extremely relevant and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment