Thursday 30 May 2013

Using Maya: Building the Environment - Change of Plan

After modelling my assets, it was then time to start on my environment space. Taking on what I learned from my SketchUp prototype model, I began mapping out basic shapes for the areas of my environment. The upper level, escalator, waiting room and platform. I looked back between my blueprints and my SketchUp models, so I could adopt the same good modelling procedures. Obviously in using Maya, how I build shapes and surfaces takes much longer than in SketchUp. I had to be consistent in checking the efficiency of my mesh and making sure there were no hidden faces or engons.  The majority of my environment was actually made up entirely from one object that had been manipulated to accommodate all my features. I added edges where needed and extruded into the surfaces which needed extra detail. I also used the bevel feature to finish off the edging on some harder surfaces. In some circumstances I did come across incorrect typology, which I then solved by inserting edge loops, using the split poly and merge vertex tools.

After some patience and hard work, I finally finished my environments. However, in doing so I had a lingering bad feeling in my mind. Maybe I was too ambitious with this task I set for myself? The whole modelling process took a very long time, especially fitting in some more intricate details to the exterior walls. I then had a worry that when it came to UV mapping, adding colour and texture, I had set myself far too much with the time I have on this project.

I then came to a difficult yet acceptable conclusion. I will use only one area of my environment to colour and texture. Although I will not be using the most part of my entirely model, I will still demonstrate my project outcomes just on a slightly smaller scale. In doing so, I am actually able to spend more time on making a good quality environment within using the colours, textures and lighting methods (when it comes to importing in UDK). Having more time to focus on one scene seems far more logical than spreading myself over something bigger, that would not have the same time invested in it. It's like having one piece of butter to spread on one piece of toast, or to spread it across multiple pieces of toast. The singular slice will obviously be better because it has more butter on it no? The room I wish to focus on now, Is that of the upper level where the ticket terminals are. The reason is because of the decorative wall panel lights. I think they will need time investment to look correct and once they do, will really look nice.

Regardless of my mind change, I took a series of screenshots documenting my entire model build before I decided to cut it down to one area. I am pleased I modeled the entire environment regardless of my decision, simply because of that lengthy process, I was able to focus on what was important for my future development on this project.

Here are the screenshots showing the multiple rooms and the typology (please excuse webcam image):





































No comments:

Post a Comment