Thursday 30 May 2013

Graphic Work: Vendor Screen and Map


After designing my posters, I then had to make a screen for my drinks vendor and a subway map.

Based on my original blueprints, I will make my vending machine have an interactive, touch selection screen. with this at my disposal  I want to make the screen for my machine bright, bold  simple yet attractive and powerful. To do this  I wanted to have minimal text and a lot of bright colours. The reason for this is because I want colour, shape and texture to talk, not words, just like the design of my environment. The only text I will need to use is instructional, so the potential user has a basic understanding of the interface.



I then designed 5 different types of bottles, all with their own colours and labels, each in which correspond to different types of drink. Although there are no labels distinguishing the drink types, it can be evident from the colour of the fluid and the texture on the label. For example in the image  above, the far right bottle can be identified as water, where the one in the center could be some kind of cola. I then added these bottles on a red back drop to make them stand out better I then added a white center point to make a 'glow' around the drinks. I added two simple arrow like buttons in which would be used to select through the drinks available  Finally I added some text explaining basic selection instructions the brand name of the drink selected, the price and final confirmation of choice.


Overall I was pleased with this design as it is simplistic yet bold and informative. I also believe it will fit in strongly with the rest of my environment and also compliments my futuristic theme well.



I then had to design my subway map. I have actually looked forward into do this task for some time, as I had the freedom to not only name the station I was modelling, but also the potential stations around this fictional world. To me it gives this environment a bit more of a 'story' and deeper meaning, than just a random station in a no man's land. To do this I gained a lot of inspiration from my previous BA7 research in the London Underground. I love the way in which colour corresponds to certain lines stops, so I decided to adopt this method for producing my own map. As I have already decided my environment will be blue, I already had the colour to for my first route. I then instantly thought of red and green as other lines in the area, simply because the irony of RGB. From these three colour routes, I then decided to name the main stations after precious stones. Sapphire for the blue route, Emerald for the green and Ruby for the red. I then generated imaginary routes as well as stops and their names, including areas of interest such as information points, disabled access, airport routes and connecting stations. It was really nice having the freedom to make names for my fictional station and even the world it could belong to. I felt I could add more personality and character to the environment this way, it also made me feel more connected too.

No comments:

Post a Comment